Skip to content
John Deere 5050D Transmission
Change Transmission-Hydraulic Oil and Filter
- Lower the driveshaft to remove trapped oil.
- Remove the drain plug from the transmission case and drain the oil.
- Dispose of residual oil properly.
- Replace the filter while changing the oil.
- Apply a film of oil to the new filter gasket and install the new filter.
- Hand tighten only.
- Fill the system with hydraulic transmission oil.
- Transmission oil capacity (oil shaft) – 32 L.
- Transmission oil capacity (grease shaft) – 30 L.
- Check the oil level in the sight glass after filling.
- Make sure the oil level is at the full level mark.
- Check again after five minutes of operation.
- Add oil if necessary.
Clean Transmission-Hydraulic Pickup Screen
- Drain the hydraulic oil from the transmission.
- Remove the two cap screws and remove the grill cover.
- Remove the screen and examine it for damage.
- Replace it if necessary.
- Clean screen with solvent and blow dry with compressed air.
- Carefully install the grille so that the front of the grille goes into the hole in the front of the differential case.
- Fill the system with transmission hydraulic oil.
- Check the oil level in the sight glass after filling and again after running for five minutes.