Skip to content
John Deere 5050D Fuel System
Replace Fuel Filter Inserts
- Remove the cap screw and filter element bowl.
- Take out the filter element. Drain the fuel and clean the bucket.
- Install the new filter element.
- Reinstall the bucket and tighten the screw and washer.
- Bleed the system with the bleed screw.
- Change the primary and secondary filter elements alternately.
- Never change both cartridges simultaneously.
- Always use a new O-ring that came with the filter inserts.
Bleed Fuel System
- Loosen the fuel return line.
- Unscrew the manual primer from the fuel lift pump until it can be pulled by hand.
- Operate hand primer until fuel flow is free of air bubbles.
- Simultaneously actuate the hand primer down and close the fuel return port.
- This prevents the entry of air into the system.
- Tighten firmly. Lock the hand primer in place.
Bleed Fuel System at Fuel Injection Nozzles
- If the engine does not start after the bleeding procedures described above, continue as follows: Place the throttle lever in the high idle position.
- Using two open-end wrenches, loosen the fuel line at at least three nozzles.
- Crank the engine with the starter until fuel is bubble-free from the loosened fuel nozzle connections.
- Retighten the connections.